-
Communities of Richland township (a work in progress)
 
 
Aurora
In 1880, Reverend William Henry Cunningham, a Methodist minister
from Lenoir county incorporated the town of Aurora.  Relatives of
the minister say that he called the place Aurora because it was a
new light in the east.  Another theory is that it was such a dark
dismal place that he thought if any place needed light this place did.
A number of steamboats have played an important part in the history
of Aurora, especially the steamboat "Oregon".
At one time Aurora had two newspapers, The Aurora Borealis and
The Progressive Age.
 
Town Hall
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




Town Hall                                                                                                   Aurora Fossil Museum (Old Jail)
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Aurora Methodist Church                                                           Hodges Marina
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Town Dock                                                                                                Aurora Welcome Sign 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Terry Groome Building Sidewalk                                                Public boat ramp
to creek
 
Aurora Beach
 
Beech Grove
 
Blounts Creek
 
Bonnerton
 
Campbell's Creek
 
Core Point
The main part of the point that juts out the farthest in the Pamlico river
was once owned by the Archbell family.  The estate owned by this family
comprised of 500 or 600 acres.  Mr. William Archbell was the last one of
the family to live there.  It was all cleared from the river for about 400
yards back.  After Mr. Archbell left, the land grew up, except for a small
place where the house was.  The estate was divided, each heir receiving
from 15 to 50 acres and they started selling their interests.
 
One among the first to buy was Elder T. H. Pipkin, who built a house and
moved in and started clearing a small farm, others followed doing the
same.  Mr. Henry Bonner built a summer home and liked it so well that
others bought and built summer homes.  At one time, there was quite a
number of summer residents and some permanent ones.
 
A church was built around 1894, known as Core Point Chapel, a Free
Will Baptist church, which is still standing today.  About this time, a
one teacher school was established, which grew to a three teacher school
later transferred to Aurora. This Core Point district was one of our first
rural school districts to vote a special tax.
 
From 1905 to 1925, Core Point had a splendid boat service to and from
Washington, the nearest and best shipping point.  These boats did a
freight and passenger business.  About this time, the government gave
Core Point a post office and the mail was brought from Washington by
a gas boat named Nyddia.
 
The people at Core Point made a fair living from fishing and farming.
There is now a nice new subdivision, Eagle Trace, in this area with lots
for sale for building a summer home or permanent residence.  This area
has a marina, tennis court, a clubhouse and fenced storage for boats,
motor homes, etc.  Also, there is a nature walk.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




Entering Community of Core Point                                             Core Point Chapel                   
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



Former location of Martin's store                                              Tripp Cemetary
    
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




Old Schoolhouse                                                                        Smithwick House                      
 

Crystal Beach
 

Edward
The community of Edward is not a particularly old one.  Joesphus
Edwards erected a mill across Durham's Creek and the settlement
became Edward's Mill.  This mill was both a saw and grist mill and
was water driven.
Edward's Mill became the stopping place of salesmen enroute from
Washington to Aurora.  Hotel Edwards did a thriving business .  During
the years 1880-1908, Edward progressed rapidly.  The town was
incorporated and a jail and mayor's court installed.  Edward had it's
own police and it's own laws and penalties.
There were numerous businesses, L. H. Redditt General Merchandise,
T. R. Boyd General Merchandise & Cotton Gin, A. E. Edwards Barber
Shop, and a telephone exchange with one operator.  There were three
churches and a three room school building with three teachers and a
music teacher. After the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad was built in 1905-
1906, the railroad became the center of transportation and travelers
and salesmen went on to Aurora or Washington for the night rather than
stop in Edward.  The town began to decline and never reached the peak
of development it once knew.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

Welcome to Edward                                                                   Durham Creek Bridge at Edward
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 





Edward Firetower                                                                      Ruth Meadow's                        
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 





Walker's Laundromat                                                                  Dudley's Grill
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




Veri-Kwik Convenience Store                                                               Edward Christian Church  
 
 
                                                           
 
 
 
 
 








Edward Fire Department                                                                    Edward Post Office